St Andrews Castle
Huntingtower (Ruthven) Castle
This photograph shows the Half-moon Battery and, behind it, the Palace, both contained within Edinburgh Castle. The Battery was built after the 'Lang Siege' of 1571-3, on the orders of the Regent Morton. It was to protect the Castle's vulnerable eastern front. The Palace was the residence of the later Stewart kings and queens. Up until the 18th century, the Half-moon Battery was armed with seven early 16th century bronze guns, known as the 'Seven Sisters', made within the castle itself. The Palace, much altered for the homecoming of James VI in 1617, was also his birthplace. Mary, Queen of Scots gave birth to him in 1566, in a tiny room off the chamber now known as Queen Mary's Room.
|• back to top||images are drawn from the SCRAN database|