St Andrews Castle
Huntingtower (Ruthven) Castle
St. Andrews Castle is situated on a rocky promontory by the sea at St. Andrews' historic town, with a drop to the sea on three sides. The Castle was founded around 1200 and added to over the centuries. The remaining ruins are mainly from the replacement castle built by Hamilton in the 16th century. Sections of the curtain walls and the Sea Tower with its bottle dungeon are still intact as well as the parapeted Fore Tower. The first round of Reformation struggle was fought out at St. Andrews, and many reformers were imprisoned there. The Castle is now under the care of Historic Scotland and it is open to the public all year round.
|• back to top||images are drawn from the SCRAN database|